About Atomic Lantern
Atomic Lantern claims to be brighter and stronger than regular flashlight like the Atomic Beam. The Atomic Lantern claims to be of military grade quality. You just have to pull it up to turn the Atomic Lantern on, and throws light in 360 degree though not too far. The Atomic Lantern retracts into the compact metal case(?) so you can carry it along. Atomic Lantern claims to be so durable that it can withstand military grade mortar blast and supposedly survive a tumble from 30 feet, as illustrated in the video. The Atomic Lantern claims to be water-proof and weather-proof too. The illumination source of the Atomic Lantern are 30 LEDs on 3 panels which throws light in all directions. The Atomic Lantern claims to be well suited for Hunting, Camping and other outdoor activities.
Atomic Beam Lantern Brightness: The website says 5000 LUX but this is really MISLEADING because the luminosity of any light source is measured in LUMENS and not LUX. This claim is not verified and attested by any independent study or test.
Atomic Beam Lantern Material: Casing is made of aluminum and rest is plastic
Atomic Beam Lantern Dimensions:
Length – 5.25″
Width – 1.50″ at its widest point
Weight – 1.38 lbs.
Atomic Beam Lantern Batteries: The basic model of Atomic Beam Lantern takes 3 AAA batteries and DELUXE model takes 1 Lithium Ion battery.
Atomic Lantern REVIEW
We have NOT tried this Atomic Lantern but we can tell you that it is not what they claim it to be. They over-exaggerate the features of a simple LED lantern. There is nothing special about it and there are plenty of such tried and tested LED lanterns available everywhere so we do not see any reason why you should stick to Atomic Lantern only.
Disadvantages of Atomic Lantern
- LEDs are too bright and annoying to look at, looking in the direction of the LED’s (even though not at them) will cause you to see dark spots for a while.
- Bottom of Atomic Lantern will rust when used damp conditions
- The size of Atomic Lantern may be too small than it appears in the infomercial
- Also Atomic Lantern may not be that bright as claimed in the TV infomercial
- Because of flimsy material not much suited for outdoor camping
- Though the Atomic Lantern’s popping out mechanism looks very simple and innovative, it can actually be a trouble. Most similar LED lanterns that we analyzed have a impossible to carry them by the handle without them popping out and activating.
- “lightweight and portable yet can withstand almost any abuse” – this is an utter lie
- The Atomic Lantern batteries would drain fast and you have to replace batteries too often.
- Atomic Lantern is not suited for outside use, prolonged outdoor use will cause the batteries to rust soon.
- Atomic Lantern does not have any control over light output, there is no way of dimming the Atomic Lantern light.
- Not an alternative to TRUE camping lantern which is ruuged.
- Throw of the light is not very far.
- Some people may find the light irritating. You can’t take the light on your face.
- There is No ON OFF Button.
- The light is UN-pleasantly bright when you look at it directly.
- The LEDs may last lifetime but the Atomic Lantern won’t.
- Atomic Lantern is distributed by Telebrands which is known for low-quality “cheap” as seen on tv products.
- Atomic Lantern is available only at the official website AtomicLantern.com. Being an “As Seen On TV” product, ordering Atomic Lantern from the official website will subject you to all the hassles and troubles associated with infomercial products like high- S/h cost, mis-leading offers, buy 1 get 1 free scams, back-orders etc.
- You have no option of buying one Atomic Lantern you have to buy 2 Atomic Lanterns for $30.
- Atomic Lantern does not come with any Warranty. Normally other branded LED lanterns have a warranty of 10 years.
Atomic Lantern Advantages
- The Atomic Lantern is just OK for use in your home during a power outage.
- It is lightweight, compact and easy to carry.
- These work great at night as general light to see in the tent.
- These are good for hanging in tents and walking around at night to see whats in front of you.
Our Verdict – Atomic Lantern is not the ONLY LED lantern available in the market, there are tons of them all over. A simple search for “LED Lantern” on Amazon.com will list you scores of them. We would not recommend Atomic Lantern, instead buy a tried and tested LED Lantern like the Etekcity LED Campaign Lantern. Atomic Lantern is the ATOMIC RIP-OFF Part-II. Part I is the Atomic Beam Flashlight. Most of the pros and cons of Atomic Lantern also apply to other similar LED lanterns, our goal is to make you aware of the fact that Atomic Lantern is just an ordinary LED Lantern and nothing more, we are not saying that is THAT BAD, just that there are better alternatives available. If you could bargain and get the Atomic Lantern for $10, it would still be a good buy.
2 Atomic Beam Lanterns for $30 at AtomicLantern.com